This is a momentous occasion! I’ve never been tagged before for one of these challenge thingies. The absolutely marvelous Sara Letourneau tagged me in the 7/7/7 Challenge. Here are le rules:
- Go to page 7 of your WIP.
- Scroll down to Line 7.
- Share the next 7 sentences in a blog post.
- After the excerpt, tag 7 other writers to continue the challenge.
My excerpt comes from Dragon Dance, a short story I’m currently finishing up in order to submit to my advanced creative writing workshop class. (And I did 7 lines rather than 7 sentences. My bad.)
My rope never connects, but Luma collapses: a cobra strike interrupted mid-snap. Dirt sprays. My heart can’t stop slamming in my ears.
Luma isn’t dead. She lays there, head turned away from me, the weight of her massive body pressing her awkwardly into the sand. Mushroom clouds of dirt rise with every labored huff. The hilt of the Dragon’s Bane blade shudders in time with Luma’s twin heartbeats.
The girl’s blood pools in the divots in the dirt. The dirt is hungry; it soaks it up. The girl is disheveled and shivering and blabbering like she’s just been hauled out of the water an inch from drowning. I step to one side of her, look down at her.
I realize how out of context this is. Perhaps after I get comments back from my critique partners, I’ll post up the full story. We can all do workshop together! :”>
Here are my
- Alexis Henderson (A MUST because she’s my critique partner and best friend and brilliantly amazing all around)
- Karah Rachelle (she’s like a legit author BUT I TAGGED HER ANYWAY MWHAHA)
- R.A. Killam (the dude doesn’t know UK basketball is a thing FOR SHAME)
- Nicole L’autore (look at this beautiful gal–LOOK AT HER)
- Topaz (her writing makes me shrink with wonder and inadequacy)
- Matt Orlando (bless this wonderful bloke)
- Tabitha Huizinga (THOUGHT SHE WAS GOING TO GET AWAY UNSCATHED–SHE DID NOT)