I’m starting a Thing.
I’ve lost a lot of discipline lately–I don’t know where it went! One day I was working diligently on my story and next moment–poof! I’m set adrift, unmoored, unanchored, and I’m in the middle of the ocean with absolutely no clue how to get back to shore.
Well, I’m throwing myself a lifeboat.
I’m going to get into the habit of writing every day. For the simple reason that I don’t have a reason not to. I want to return to my writing practice. I don’t know why I’m adrift from it, but that doesn’t matter right now. What matters is getting back into it, getting back on the horse, so to speak.
- Every day for the month of October, I will post a short piece (maybe 500ish words) inspired by the prompt list
- Emphasis on I will post. I’m going to make this exercise completely transparent because even if no one actually reads it, the potential for someone to read it will be enough to hold me accountable
- Doesn’t have to be good. Just has to be done
- I’m going to dedicate a notebook to it and write it by hand (to cut down on the editing-as-I-go that typing allows me to do)
What I’m hoping will happen
- That I’ll fall back in love with writing for the sake of writing
- That I’ll have a nice collection of writing pieces I can look back on fondly at the end of the month
- That following these prompts will help me warm up for working on my WiP. Fortunately, even if they don’t, I’ll have written something that day
- That I’ll have fun and come out the end of it feeling productive and fulfilled
Here’s the prompt list I’ll be working from:
Yep, I made my prompt thing into a proper Instagram Thing, because I would love for you to join me. (Also, I find putting it in this Instagram-y format is oddly inspiring in and of itself? I mean–the colors, the fonts, the lists, oh my!)
Every day for the month of October, I’ll post my response to the prompt here on MizWriterLady. If you’re joining in, you can post your response as a comment on my post (as either straight text or with a link to where you posted it elsewhere). If you share on Instagram, be sure to use the hashtag #Oct_DailyMWL and tag me @mizwriterlady so I can see what you wrote! :)
Before you go. Throw me some words to use for my November prompts! It’s hard to come up with all of these on my own!